Not I; don't even need (nor want) one with a multithou-$ factory "hole" in the top..

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Hurst" <jabbahur...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Scored an R129!

i think everyone in life needs an open car

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

Woo-hoo!

Just made a deal on a 1997 SL500. The good, the bad, the ugly:

Good:
Red with black interior
40th Anniversary Edition (according to VIN)
71,000 miles
Body is near perfect
Interior is very good condition
Soft top is as new

Bad:
Top hydraulics need replacement
Oil tube or tubes possibly bad on right side of engine (slight single
lifter tick)
Aftermarket radio (owner has original Becker)
CEL is on with code for O2 sensor

Ugly:
Hard top headliner gone, will need to replace
Rebuilt title (car was totaled in 2007 due to front end damage, rebuilt by
local dealer)

Price: $5000

Some observations:

According to the VIN this is a 40th Anniversary model. However, it has
trunk badging, which the 40th Anniversary models were not supposed to have. I can only assume that this was installed in the past when there was a rear end damage noted in the DMV reports from the original owner. I'm torn as to
whether or not I should leave it on the car or not.

Lifter tick could very well be due to lack of use. The car has been driven less than 3000 miles in the last 4 years, so it's sat a lot. I'll drain the
engine and refill with the required Mobil1 0W40 as soon as I get it and
drive a little while to see if the tick goes away.

Thanks to Klaus at Top Hydraulics and others it looks like the top
controller is probably OK. The window drop feature does work, meaning that
the system is probably synchronized. However, the PO has operated the top
manually, meaning that they probably upset the system at some point and
invoked the safeties, I suspect. There was some beeping when I started the
car, which I believe was due to the top system complaining.

I was able to raise the roll bar using the switch on the console, however, this apparently pressurized the system, which caused the leaking cylinders
in the top of the windshield frame to leak hydraulic fluid out the trim
covers of the windshield corners. This also leads me to believe that the
hydraulic system is probably OK but needs to be sorted out.

I'm figuring about $2k worth of repairs (parts) will be necessary to get
it completely sorted out, after which I should have a very nice, 100%
working SL500.

I take delivery on Thursday. What a great Christmas present!

Dan

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com <http://www.BuyEUROparts.com>*