Here's a better explanation of the test suggested previously which is simply based on the affinity of alcohol for water; no complex chemistry involved.

"HOW TO TEST FUEL FOR ETHANOL

*To determine if ethanol is in the gas: *

 * On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a
   permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
 * Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with
   gasoline.
 * Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.

The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

*Get a reusable tester for only $15!
*

*http://www.autofuelstc.com/fuel_testing.phtml
*