> arche...@embarqmail.com wrote:
>
> Here's a better explanation of the test suggested previously
> which is simply based on the affinity of alcohol for water; no
> complex chemistry involved.

Thanks!  This one makes sense.

> Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence
> of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

I'm going to speak up again.

For nearly 30 years I have been using ethanol blend gasoline
[petrol].  I began seeking it out and have used it almost
exclusively for 25 years.  I tried it way back then and discovered
the carburetor maintenance on my cars went _way_ down with the
blend.  Since then, I have used it for cars, lawn mowers,
chainsaws, line trimmers, etc.  Some of the mowers have repeatedly
sat for 6 to 8 months with fuel in the tank.  I often mix a
stabilizer (Stabil initially, more recently Sea Foam) with the two
stroke - but not always.

In those 25 years I cannot blame the fuel for even one problem with
any of the engines.  Zero.

Yet there are a lot of people who claim lots of problems caused by
ethanol.  I don't understand why my experience is _so_ different.

All these tales of woe are making me nervous - yet my experiences
suggest I should keep doing what I have been.

--   Philip,  puzzled.