When I worked as a mechanic, I found that customers always thought the shops
were owned by same person. That is they would come in with cars after
spending several $100's at other shops that did not fix problem. Then they
would come to our shop and want us to it fixed for free since they already
spent all this money at other shops.

I always thought the way to have a repair shop was to do it on a membership
basis. That is you have to be a member to get your car worked on at my
repair shop. The only way to become a member was to be recommended by
another member or bring in a receipt where you had already paid someone to
fix your car and it was not fixed.

Once you were a member you bring your car in and you get a "free" rental car
while your car is being worked on. These rental cars are cars that the shop
has for sale. You rent the cars with credit card, for insurance purposes,
but when you pay for your bill the rental charge is refunded. The idea is
that if you bring in your Honda Civic for repair you get a Honda Accord as
rental, that is the rental is always a step up from what you drive. Thus
customer is mad at their car already and now driving a nicer one which
happens to be for sale! Additionally customers often have problems bring
cars in as they need cars to go to work, thus rental cars make sense.

Now if you are member and you complain about the bill, well the first thing
I do is discount the bill and ask you not to come back. If you decided
latter you want to rejoin, then you have to pay the discounted amount plus a
rejoining fee, just for being stupid.

The whole idea is to make taking the car to shop painless as possible for
the customer and get customers who appreciate the fact that you actually
will fix their cars and not swap parts all day.

Of course I would never open a repair shop, as that I dislike dealing with
people. However I would join one of these shops. Right now I do all my own
work on cars because I can not find a shop I would trust.

I actually took my car to get an alignment once, they charge me for the
alignment and told me I had a bad tie rod end. I was mad, as that now I had
to replace tie rod and then pay for alignment again. Not to mention the
hassle of dropping off car for service. Needless to say they never got my
money again.

My shop would be called "I Just Want it Fixed!"

Trampas