Premium means premium unless you want to burn the plugs off on a regular basis. W210 chassis probably has a knock sensor, but it will respond to the knock by greatly reducing advance, so lesser grades of fuel result in really bad fuel milage. Buy premium.

Electronics are the weak link in the later cars, to the point I see fairly recent ones in the you-yank-it yards on a regular basis.

The W210 also rusts badly, had a recall for the front upper spring mount fracturing off the frame because it was spot welded on and improperly rustproofed, thank you Chrysler.

I'm in the same boat, the W214s are getting a bit long in the tooth and I don't like ANY of the newer ones very much.

Peter