On Dec 31, 2014 4:22 PM, "Dan Penoff via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> > Does "premium fuel only" really mean "premium fuel only"?
>
> The consensus over at Benzworld seems to be that the resulting drop in
economy ends up making it a wash, and introduces the risk of damage to the
catalytic converter and engine.  That may be anecdotal, I haven't seen any
proof.

On my 92 Volvo 940, a discrete knock sensor would compensate for the fuel
grade, down to 87 octane or so.  Mileage was close to 20% better for 93
versus 87, so I would do the calculation when I stopped at the pump.  Most
of the time premium was cheaper, but that was a long time ago.  I don't
know about Mercedes, just wanted to share my observation...

Best,
Tim