  From: WILTON via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Curly McLain <126die...@gmail.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:04 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT License plate Readers

I can freely drive anywhere in N. America I want to knowing that I'm doing
nothing wrong.  My license plate is clearly displayed for the public and/or
the po-pos to read anytime they want.  If having my plate read occasionally
by the po-pos will help to catch the sorry SOB's around me who may be (or
have been) breaking the law, please do.

BTW, don't you think that, whenever a po-po comes up behind you, he's/she's
already reading your plate?

That reminds me:  One Saturday afternoon in 1958, I was returning home to
Lincoln, NE, from classes at the University of Omaha.  En route, I met a NE
highway patrolman, who immediately turned around and came back rushing up
behind me until he noticed that my plate on the rear was labeled, "North
Carolina."  NE required a plate on front and rear; NC required only the rear
one; seeing none on the front as he was meeting me, he thought he "had one."
Immediately upon seeing the NC plate, he turned around and continued on his
way, as did I without ever changing pace.

Wilton