In spite of the conventional wisdom, it is entirely possible to be too thin, and many fad diets are lacking in nutrients.

Humans have been omnivores for millions of years, vegan diets are very likely to be lacking in things like vitamin B12, which is only found in a couple plant sources (that most people don't eat).

If you do a bit of digging, you will find that the Body Mass Index is quite misleading in terms of health -- the group of people sorted by body mass index that have the highest mortality and morbidity are the ones in the "normal" range, the healthiest (lowest morbidity and mortality rates) and in the overweight group.

A much better measurement is body fat percentage, but even then the sickest people are in the lowest weight class, I suspect because they are underweight due to pre-existing illness, not because being thin makes you sick.

Humans in evolutionary terms did not have constant food supplies as we do today, we evolved in a feast or famine situation, which is why many populations in marginal environments for people tend to gain huge amounts of weight on a steady high calorie diet -- the ability to store excess calories efficiently let them survive long periods of inadequate food supply, while those who didn't store up every available calorie died of starvation when the food supply got skimpy.

You don't want to be carrying so much excess weight you wreck your knees and can't breath sitting down, but a few extra pounds won't hurt you.

Peter