I can only assume that someone ratted the guy out.  I'll say that from my
distant observations (I don't work directly with him, but I know people who do)
that the guy has a reputation for being a dick.  This, no doubt, was probably
the motivation for someone ratting on him.

That being said, it's probably prudent just to stand down and leave it at that
rather than poking the bear.  While I have no doubt there are plenty of ACLU
and other lawyers who would take this on, pissing off the government is never a
good idea in my book.  They tend to make your life miserable for a long, long
time, regardless of the outcome.

I think he said something in one of the many local TV interviews to the effect
that he wasn't doing anything wrong, and would continue to run his drone and
post videos until they came after him.

That's not smart if you ask me, but knowing what I do about him, I'm not
surprised.

Dan