You can survive quite well over 10k ft, 20k is pushing it though some have conquered Everest 28k ft with no supplemental oxygen. I have trekked at 14k+ ft and spent a couple days at 12k+, it is a challenge but if you are fairly fit you can do it OK, some better than others (the Quechua basically run marathons at 10k+ in 4 hours or so, up and down the mountains on the Inca trail, but they are born there and live their whole lives at high altitude, as do the Sherpas). A bunch of ski resorts are at 10k+ ft at the top, no problem. My wife has a problem at altitude but it has never bothered me other than the heavy breathing to get enough O2.

I think the big problem in a plane is rapid decompression which can blast your ears really hard, then confusion, then lack of oxygen if you can't get it quickly enough, plus it is really cold up there if a windscreen blows out, someone could freeze very quickly if that happens -- -40F and 400+ kt is not conducive to life.

--R who was once on an Eastern 727 when it depressurized, twice, at not too high an altitude and had No Fun