I'm kind of surprised to hear that.  I had the idea that the Catera
was better-made than most GM products because it was actually a
rebadged Opel, made in Germany, and was discontinued not because it
was a bad car but because of incompetent marketing---kind of like the
Merkur XR4Ti  (Ford Sierra in Europe).

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo