Lol, that 26 gallon tank with the filler six inches higher than the top doesn't give you much room for expansion!

That is why, in fact, the instructions always say not to top off the tank. Not a problem for me, as I'm half a gallon away from home most of the time I fill up, and likely a gallon or more, but something to consider if you are going to park the car on a hot day immediately after filling it up.

The ground temperature is usually in the 50's, so half a gallon more in the tank wouldn't be a surprise on a 26 gallon tank...

Peter