The funny thing is, I discovered the leak b/c the car was over heating
(usually it runs cool).  I popped the hood and saw the short hose was
oozing coolant, so I topped it up - took nearly a gallon of H2O through the
filler tank.

Now that the radiator coolant level is back to normal, the hose no longer
drips.  WTF???