I did read "on the internet" about one fellow who lost the charge of
hydrocarbon refrigerant in a leak next to the engine air cleaner intake, so
the engine ingested all the gas and ran away, destroying the engine.  I can
see how the engine could overspeed and self destruct when the injection
pump / governor is not controlling the fuel.  IIRC that was a 123 car which
has the AC lines on the same side of the engine as the intake?

Max
Charleston SC