First, load test the battery. A trip to any FLAPs should test it for free.
The load test will show if you have a battery with failed internal plates,
which will not then give you full amps to run starter.

If the battery loads tests good, then I suggest the starter solenoid
possibly welded it's self internally to "stuck" position which does not
engage the starter bendix, since the starter runs free when hooked directly
to 12 volts.

Start simple by having the battery load tested, fix that problem, if it is
one, and since the battery is self discharging, [if I read your post
correctly] it is suspect.

It is possible to have more than one problem arise at the same time,
however, such as the starter solenoid/bendix function and the battery
having a warped plate. [possible scenario with high charge rate and low
water, perhaps].

Hope this gives you some place to start.. Good luck.

Grant...