#1 (and only) son now allows as to how a 240D 123 (manual)
might be a contender as his first car.  The Beetle is out
because he's taking up the string bass.  We already know
that they basically don't fit in those, that's why the
neighbors got rid of theirs.  Anyway, once he hits 14yo
this month car-hunting season officially opens!  I expect
it to take months before anything might actually be
procured.

_Ideally_ he'd take a shine to our Chevy pickup, then
I could get something else as our woods beater.  :-)
But he hates it, so that's a no-go.

Criteria:  Safe; slow; stickshift; needs work, especially
some (but not huge amounts) of cosmetic work; relatively
inexpensive; something he _likes_.  An old MB would be
ideal, for many reasons.  The idea is to get him into
something he likes and with a fair amount of sweat equity.
Maximizes our chances of keeping him alive, while minimizing
our expenses.  Funky colors move to the head of the line.

-- Jim