I was reading an article in the paper about this while eating lunch, it looks like the lawyers are lining up to "help" the owners of these things, with various remedies being considered, including compensation, buyback, replacement, etc. depending on what they can sort out in the different states/fed level. Of course the lawyers would get 30% on the deal, owners would probably get a coupon to buy another VW, and all this would take about 8 years to wind its way along.

I wonder if there might be a market in going to the greenies and offering them cash right now for the car to be done with it, they could then go buy a Pious and feeeeeeeeeel better. If you could get them cheap enough you could probably ride out the process and make some money off the deal, or just sell them "as is" to others who would be willing to ride out the process with some potential of getting something out of it. You'd have to calculate values and such but I bet some $$ could be made off it if you wanted to fool with the whole deal.

--R