I don’t know about your area, but around here it’s TECO, or Tampa Electric
Company, which was just purchased yesterday by a Canadian firm.  They used to
have a lottery at the beginning of the year for a fixed number of permits they
would issue to purchase point-of-use power.  I don’t know the number but the
word was that it was pretty small, maybe a few hundred at most.

They stopped the program this year, so it’s not even an option at this point.

The state laws are involved in some means as well:

http://fcir.org/2015/04/03/in-sunshine-state-big-energy-blocks-solar-power/

Dan