Start with a Mobile 1 ATF fluid/filter change. That cured my CD which had a slipping trans until the speed was above 15-20mph. I'm a believer.

Luther

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:30:20 -0600, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Loren Faeth wrote:
The 88 TE I bought in VA should arrive in the next few days. It was sold
with a non-working trans, but was supposed to be able to move enough to
drive on a transport.  When the transport got there, the car didn't
start.  I don't know other symptoms yet.  Since I am new to auto trans
diagnosis and repair, could someone list the symptoms related to a B2 problem.

I understand the B2 symptom of "I shift it into gear and then it takes 3
seconds to engage."  But what are other failure modes?

Are there any other failure modes that can be repaired with the trans in
the car?

If anyone can describe symptoms or how to determine if I need a rebuilt or
used trans?

Total B-2 piston (or band) failure results in NO forward motion and
reverse is fine. If the piston is going to fail, it's rare that they
don't fail suddenly (they don't go slowly over days or weeks).

If it takes longer than 2 seconds from N to R, the reverse clutch pack
is worn (first signs of serious transmission wear). That's entirely
unrelated to B-2 piston or band problems.

Marshall

--
Luther   KB5QHU
Alma, Ark