My ideal rat rod would simply exude danger and power, with no gimmicks.
Painted with primer, no added nothing but noise and power.

In college one summer Saturday night I was driving home after a second shift at
a food warehouse, '63 Beetle.  Coming up on a red light, there's a jacked up
camaro, 70's, primer paint, huge slicks on the rear axle.  He's stopped in the
right lane, I'm coasting up the left trying to time it so I hit the light
rolling in first and can blast right by him.  I time it right, blow right by
with the flat four air cooled engine wailing and shift into second, watching
him the rear view mirror now.

I see and hear him launch, front end lifts but the front wheels don't, smoke
rolling from both rear slicks and it sound like no muffler at all on that V8.

I started rolling up windows and reaching to close the sunroof (huge canvas
affair), too late.  Camaro burns past, tire smoke engulfs me, I kept smiling
until I fell asleep later that night.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC