One of my teachers in high school would sometimes entertain us with tales
from his youth in small town Iowa, he and his brothers would compete to see
who had the fastest ride, which of course meant there had to be a test of
some sort to prove who had the fastest ride.  He recounted how one day his
big brother rolled up to the house in a '56 or '57 Chevy, rolled down the
window and told him to get in for a "test ride".  Teacher (probably about
15 or 16 at the time) knew he was in trouble because the car was shaking
really hard at idle, his brother had to shout to be heard, and there were
no seat belts of course.  He couldn't show any fear in front of his older
brother, so he obliged and got in, and the resulting "test drive" was so
terrifying that when they returned home, he got out and turned to his
brother and basically said "You win, and I am never going to ride in
another car with you driving again."

So those stories illustrate where my ideas for a rat rod come from.
Probably not going to get there, messing around with mechanical injection
compression ignition...

Max
Charleston SC