kevin kraly wrote:
Hi, Dimitri.

Since I've only got $175 in my 220D including the battery, I don't think that I'll be doing anything to the trunk for quite a while.

You could do what I did on my old Volvo 240. I used a 3M Rust And Paint Removal Wheel to remove as much rust and bubbled paint as I could, then cut off the "danglies" to make a relatively smooth opening. Painted with rust converter on both sides, then primed it. Once the paint was dry, I cut patches out of galvanized sheet metal from Home Depot, leaving a bit of overlap all around, and pop-riveted them in place with a bit of silicone sealer in between. It looked like hell, but it kept the water and exhaust fumes out. The only power tool I used was a cordless electric drill; a pair of aviation snips, pliers, vise grips, and a pop-rivet gun took care of the rest. Don't forget to wear a dust mask when using the paint removal wheel, and don't skip the rust converter and primer steps or you'll just have a bigger hole in a year.