Very interesting. I had a neighbor when we lived near Boston who had been grabbed to be a B-17 pilot after his first year at Georgia Tech where he was studying engineering. It was toward the end of the war so he only flew a few missions but they were scary enough for him, he was like 18 or 19 and in charge of the plane and crew and missions etc. Apparently pilots were becoming a rare commodity.

All this came out one day after he asked me to come over and help with something that required going up about 2 steps on a ladder. He could not get up on the ladder, said he had a fear of ladders. Turns out it was related to these experiences, He said he had absolutely no problem climbing up into the cockpit and flying some patched-up rattletrap airplane at 30k ft or whatever, and getting shot at by AA fire, but he could not get on the first step of a ladder a foot off the ground. Strange how things manifest.

--FT