You are welcome. You might check out Martin Caiden's books. One is called Black Thursday. It is about this raid. I think he also wrote The Thousand Plane Raid about the first allied raid with 1000 planes. I read all that stuff 45-50 years ago. Anything the school libary had or whatever I could get form scholastic or the local bookstore about WWII air and naval actions. Run SIlent, Run Deep is a terrific book also. If you like subs, you should know about Mush Morton and the Wahoo.

Max Dillon via Mercedes <>
October 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Thanks for posting! I think there is a museum for The Mighty Eighth off of I-95 down in Florida. I've often been tempted to stop there, that temptation is now greater.
Curley McLain <>
October 14, 2016 at 4:49 AM
Was an bombing mission which incurred record losses, and Oct 14 became know as Black Thursday.

60 of 291 planes were lost, and another 17 were so badly damaged that they were scrapped ofter the mission. 22% of the men on the raid were lost.

Remember today, the men of the USAAF who flow those missions and especially those who were lost.

To search list archives