So Dory the 190D is at my Indy's shop for new shift bushings so I can use
reverse again. That being the case I'm driving Hammie the 240D. Yesterday at
17F the battery in Hammie was just not having any of it. I rousted my wife and
we dragged him around (second gear this time Jim) and he started right up.
Started up off the battery on the way home, but I stopped at AutoZone anyway
and for around $70 with tax I got a new battery. The change out only took a
couple minutes and while I should have changed the negative battery cable while
I was there, the effect was still obvious.
  When warm the car always starts real easy but I hadn't realized how slow the
starter was going, now I just barely hit the key and it fires right up.
  This morning at 19F I glowed once and cranked for maybe 5 seconds before it
fired up, if I'd glowed twice it'd have fired off immediately but I wanted to
test things.

  I spent a little time looking at the battery cables on the 190D when I last
changed the oil and concluded they seem a little small for all they accomplish.
Has anybody ever upgraded the cables? The existing ones appear to be about 2ga
or so. I'm thinking 0ga if I could get it in the right length (or have it made)
would help ensure cold starts. At the very least replacing the old weathered
cables with new ones should lower resistance and help things along somewhat.
Anybody know what length the cables are on a 190D 2.2l?

  -Curt
  '85 190D "Dory" 234kmi
  '83 240D "Hammie" 253kmi

 Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new
and used cars.