Craig,

Depends on the engine. On a 603, you don't need to pull the pump. On a
602, I'm not sure... if there's enough room to remove the rear
governor cover (six screws on the rectangular flat plate), you might
be able to. Remember, the tranny may upshift prior to the tick marks
on the speedo face.

To see if you're getting to the proper governor speed, try leaving the
gear shift in "L" and pinning the throttle... the engine should pull
to approx 5100rpm (+/-) and stay there. If you're well under 5000,
then you need to troubleshoot further... try the no-load test (floor
it in park for a couple seconds and see if it goes to 5100), if not,
you may have issues with air or fuel delivery...

:)

-dm