Curt Raymond wrote:
BTW, I am using sythetic motor oil, 15w50 because I couldn't get any 5w40. If I
still can't get 5w40 Mobil 1 in the fall I'll get Amsoil.
Has anybody actually used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in an MB manual trans? I tried it once and within a couple weeks there was a terrible squealing. My Indy replaced the trans and the driveshaft bearing. Ah ha! Says I, it wasn't the trans but that pesky bearing after all, but still theres a little lingering doubt in my mind.
  That and one of the guys I work with says Mobil 1 ATF is contraindicated for
manual transmissions. I find this suspect but its something I've heard.

Mobil 1 ATF is the optimal fluid for Mercedes 716/717 transmissions in MY opinion. I've been using it for more than 7-8 years in several different transmission. Shifts more smoothly than ANYTHING else I've ever tried and is WONDERFUL in really cold weather.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi