Peter Frederick via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM
Sadly, we have returned to the age of disposable cars, made of junky parts intended to be discarded at the end of the car loan.

I've been advised to avoid any Benz after 2006, they suffer from mysterious computer ailments that can only be fixed by replacement at $2500 each. Always see a couple at the u-pull without body damage, meaning too expensive to repair electronics failures.

Lots of cost cutting, too, to keep the price down to where people can afford them -- to my mind, the old analog and non-electronic systems are both cheaper to make and much more reliable in the long run. The current infatuation with computer operated everything is not only very expensive with minimal or no improvement in operation, or downright dangerous (cars that don't have a mechanical park on automatics, for one). Drive by wire, brake by wire, etc. is VERY expensive vs a solid steering column and a hydraulic pump or master cylinder and calipers....

Been a problem all my life, people drool all over themselves with greed when you say "computer", and while they are great for some things, current automotive systems are way over the top.

Peter

+1  Amen, Can I get a Hallelujah?

As I call em, throwaway electronic toys.