https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/07/nvidias-helping-mercedes-build-artificially-intelligent-cars-t/

On 1/7/17 12:30 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
The weakness of programmers (software engineers in their parlance) (smart morons in my parlance) is that in their world, IF something CAN be done with software, it MUST be done with software. (a programmer's corollary to Murphy's law.) Once software is introduced into any system, the feature creep is never ending and uncontrollable. (another corollary)If they could replace the internal combustion engine with electrons, they will (and are). If they could replace the whole vehicle with software, they WILL.

As soon as they learn a new trick, it WILL be put into the current project, even though it may be a total waste, or even detrimental to the project. (A programmer's corollary to Murphy's law.)

Even though a "good old lever or rotating knob would work a lot better than a switch and solenoid and motor with a microcontroller overseeing it all," we will be forced into overcomplicated electronic controls and systems... "Because we CAN, We MUST!"

So far, few if any people can keep a software development within scope and budget.

Long live the 123, 124, and 126!
Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 7, 2017 at 11:18 AM
A lot of that is the result of gummint mandates for fuel efficiency increases and safety nannies to make sure you have fastened your seatbelt and know how to work your brakes etc. While I guess the benefits of all that are reasonably good, having the various electrons whizzing around encourages the engineers to add other doodads to start and stop the car and to keep you in your lane and to make sure you screw on the gas cap tightly so as not to upset the evaporative emissions in Kollyfawnya. Then it becomes a bit of an arms race to add features and functions to the radio and seats and whatnot, when a good old lever or rotating knob would work a lot better than a switch and solenoid and motor with a microcontroller overseeing it all.

I'm thinking the old TD, if it wasn't slowly succumbing to entropy, would be the ideal ride, aside from the heating AC controller it is quite agricultural and could run on most anything half combustible.

--R

--FT
Winston Churchill:
“Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or
petty,
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.
Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the
enemy.”