Yesterday, I went to start the drive by wire van, and turned the MB electronic key to start and then let off. It kept cranking, no start until I realized what was going on and shut it off. Tried again and it started normally. The previous time it was driven it started whining about the gascap. Got out and took the gas cap off and put it on. still whining. rinse and repeat. still whining.

After the starter incident, it was still whining about the gascap. Got out and took the gas cap off and put it on. still whining. rinse and repeat. still whining.

Several weeks ago SWMBO complained it didn't start, so she took the 240D. Crap like this sure makes you love a 240D!

I presume either electrons are not going where they are supposed to, or going where they are not supposed to. I have no idea how to troubleshoot. Either bad connectors, that could be anywhere or a computer module going bad. But either way, I no longer trust it for long trips. It has had no wiring work in the last 100k miles, other than the FOBIK recall done by the stealer as a recall FOBIK = dogdespeak for the MB electronic "key."

I suppose there is a high likelihood the stealer screwed up something with that.

I sure wish OM603 powered vans were available in the USA 30 yrs ago.

Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 7, 2017 at 9:38 AM
Yes I think cars today are ridiculous. Even the cheapest of cars has gadgets and electronics only high end luxury cars would have before. It would be nice to have more simple mechanical cars. Wonder how much cheaper they would be without all the bloat ware.

Sent from my iPhone

Peter Frederick via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM
Sadly, we have returned to the age of disposable cars, made of junky parts intended to be discarded at the end of the car loan.

I've been advised to avoid any Benz after 2006, they suffer from mysterious computer ailments that can only be fixed by replacement at $2500 each. Always see a couple at the u-pull without body damage, meaning too expensive to repair electronics failures.

Lots of cost cutting, too, to keep the price down to where people can afford them -- to my mind, the old analog and non-electronic systems are both cheaper to make and much more reliable in the long run. The current infatuation with computer operated everything is not only very expensive with minimal or no improvement in operation, or downright dangerous (cars that don't have a mechanical park on automatics, for one). Drive by wire, brake by wire, etc. is VERY expensive vs a solid steering column and a hydraulic pump or master cylinder and calipers....

Been a problem all my life, people drool all over themselves with greed when you say "computer", and while they are great for some things, current automotive systems are way over the top.

Peter