> Gerry wrote:
> > I like the option of having your funeral before you die. Send out a death
> > notice to your friends and enemies.
>
> Next OkieQ will be our death notice - fun, fun.
> I'll bring my kasket if you bring yers.
> tin-man
Good thinking, but the cabin door might be too small to get the coffin on the
plane, and you know there will always be some passengers who freak out because
there might be a terrorist inside.
We could get in the coffin and check it as luggage, but I understand it gets
pretty cold in the bottom of those airliners.
Finally I remembered IKEA which was bound to have a coffin kit for us DIYers,
and here it is:

IKEA to Launch “Ready to Assemble” Casket.

"The Swedish multi-national furniture company – IKEA claims to offer huge
savings to the average cost of a family funeral with the introduction of a new
plywood flat pack coffin. Their new self-assembly coffin arrives in 12 ‘ready
to assemble’ components and can easily be assembled in ‘less than 1 hour’ by
bereaving relatives.

‘I found it really helped to take my mind off matters’ said grieving Malcolm
Baker, 25 (grandson of the deceased). ‘I felt tearful when I began opening the
flat pack packaging and slowly started to work out what needed to be done.
But once I got started, by the second hour I was shouting and swearing and
kicking the tools around the living room. ‘When the coffin was eventually
placed into the ground, it broke into pieces and the relatives started throwing
clods of dirt at me for doing such a poor job of assembly.’

However, other families welcome the massive financial saving that the flat pack
coffin delivers. ‘We hoped to save money buying a casket for our grandfather
because he wasn’t liked much by the family’ said Nellie Williams, 32 from
Cardiff. ‘We made him assemble the coffin himself before he died. It actually
took him 2.5 days. On reflection though, we think it may have been what made
him croak.'

http://www.flatpackconstruction.co.uk/ikea-launch-self-assembly-casket/

---