Curley,

Are you sure it is a Core 2? The spec list I'm looking at lists the
processor for a MacBook 1,1 as a Core Duo 1.83 13". That also explains the
2GB RAM cap, the Core Duo's were 32-Bit processors. Technically if you
could get the motherboard to recognize the DIMM it should be able to
address up to 3GB, but there is also the limitation of the 32-Bit EFI BIOS.

So, linux wise, you may want to go as lightweight as possible. Usually I
recommend Elementary OS because it is very Mac like in usage. But it is
also a bit graphics heavy so you might get annoyed with some of the
slowness. A very large amount of the distros today are based around the
Ubuntu base image, which is itself based on Debian. Debian has always had a
huge following. The other major distro would be the RPM style, Fedora
based. CentOS, Red Hat and the like. Someone else mentioned Mint, it is
also an Ubuntu based lightweight distro so would be another good choice.

Though I think you'd probably want to look at something like Lubuntu. It
runs LXDE as the desktop, so doesn't give a lot of the graphics heavy stuff
most new OSes seem to like. It has minimum specs of a P4 and 1GB of RAM, so
will run on the MacBook hardware.

I'll tell you though, I have not had much luck installing Linux directly on
Apple hardware for some reason. Always seem to get a hiccup, so your
mileage may vary. However, I have had luck installing Linux on a more IBM
styled PC system, getting GRUB loaded, yanking the disk and dropping back
in the Mac and watching it boot. Which is really wild, so if you try to
install direct and run into a lot of headaches, maybe do the initial
install on a IBM PC system and see if that works.

EdB

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Curley McLain via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I have SWMBO's former Macbook 1,1  Core 2 1.8; 2 Gb Ram (max) with recent
> HD and battery.  Looks like now it is tough to sell one for even $100 on
> the bay of fleas.  Perhaps it is time to load some flavor of linux on it?
> What flavor would you guys recommend?  Sort of a Ed B or Looey Don question.
>
> In looking at the bay of fleas, it appears el crap might run on it  or can
> be hacked to run on it.  Anybody got experience with this?
>
> It is only worth 50-$75, I may as well keep it an use it as a shop
> computer or some such.
>
> I guess I shoulda put winders 10 virus magnet on it while that was still
> free.

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*