An Intel Mac is an Intel PC. While Apple has added some customization to
the ROM with the EFI, it is still the base reference Intel EFI underneath.
As long as the GRUB you are using has the support for EFI in it you should
be able to boot. Also, GPT disks are usually a thing in the Apple world,
but I've got standard MBR disks to boot in my Mini. As I said in an earlier
post, though, I've had to install the Linux OS on a straight IBM PC and
transplant the disk.The Intel EFI will recognize the MBR and attempt to
boot it. Ran CentOS 6 on Mini for a while this way.

However, the Apple bit in the EFI is looking for GPT stuff, so *sometimes*
the Live CDs don't boot completely, or can't see the MBR disk once booted
because the Apple portion of the BIOS ROM didn't pass off the HDD as
available because it wasn't GPT. I haven't looked at it real low level or
anything, so I'm not 100% sure where the hiccups start happening. I just
know that I was jaw dropped surprised when I took a disk from a failed
CentOS 6 laptop and dropped into the Mini with a dead HDD that I looked
away to find a disk to boot Mac OS X with and came back to my login prompt
on CentOS 6.

I've used the workaround / trick a couple times since.

EdB