The smaller early machines definitely have total RAM addressing problems.
Our oldest Macbook Pro can only address 6GB of RAM, not the 8 you might
think you could get.  One just slightly older that friends have is I think
limited to 2GB.

But, I think so long as you have a Core 2 processor you can run El Capitan
(64-bit), if you can feed it enough RAM.  In the case of the Mac Pro's you
need a patched EFI, but it's out there. Our two cheese graters and the
three Macbook Pros are all running it, all roughly 2007 vintage.  (The $50
cheese grater is not, mostly because I don't want to put a high-powered
video card into a file server.  Rather, I intend to run it headless, and
10.7.5 should be just fine for that.)

-- Jim