Wilton,

First, I think you are doing the wise thing by sticking with R-12...
I'm a strong proponent of fixig & recharging R-12 systems, and NEVER
converting to R-134a (or anything else that won't work with mineral
oil.)

Anyway, what I would recommend is getting your EPA certification
online, cost is under $20. Then buy a few cans of R-12 off eBay, or
wherever else you can find it cheap. Pretty sure 12oz cans are still
selling for ~$20/ea on eBay. I think it will take a bit over 3 cans to
fully charge an empty W124 system. Maybe 3 cans would be enough to
give you 90%+ charge so you don't need to tap into a fourth, lol.

You can find 30lb tanks for $400-$500, but there's always a risk that
it's not virgin R-12. I'd be really careful buying one of these unless
it's a local seller where you can personally inspect the tank before
buying, to make sure the factory seal is intact.

Worst case, convert to an alternative refrigerant that works with
mineral oil, like AutoFrost. The drawback to these is you can't top
off... not a big deal if your system is leak free.

:-)

-Dave M.