  Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 23:11:05 -0800 (PST)
From: michael smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Tightness
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I had the same problem with my 78 280SE, Mercedes uses a zero offset
steering geometry and when it is new it is fastastic...as most people do
not change their fluids they do not wear well as it is alot of stress
on the components...buy a rebuilt kit and a spare box and have it
restored...then install it (best to pay somebody) and the difference is
amazing.  There is also a flexi joint in the steering column which tends to
be a culprit...Best of luck

  Mike in San Diego

Brian Chase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Allright, now it's getting late, I've walked the dogs, the wife is
out of
town, and I've had a few beers. So I have the courage to ask:

I notice many listers speak of how tight and great the 124s handle. Can
just say that driving my 123 is like piloting a pontoon compared to
driving
my 84 Saab? I know, I know they're designed for somewhat different
purposes,
but still, the very loose steering bugs the crap out of me. Jumping in
the
900 after driving the 240 for so long resulted in over revving and over
steering. I understand the steering gear can be tightened some via an
adjusting nut? But adjust it too far and risk steering box damage?

I'm betting that my Saab handles about as well as the 124s. NOT trying
to be
confrontational, I love my 240 dearly.

Brian
83 240D
Hate to say it, the Saab may get better mileage too

Yahoo! Mail