On Mar 9, 2006, at 1:37 AM, Zoltan Finks wrote:

A lot of talk about studded tires. I've never used them so let me ask: Do
they wear out very quickly on dry pavement?

No but, by law, most states require that they are removed by a predetermined date. In NY they are allowed from Oct 15-May 15.

Or can you use them throughout
the winter - even if conditions are dry - and if so, how many seasons do
they last?

        Yes and longevity depends on all of the variables.

I would think that the studs, if used in dry conditions at all
would go bye bye quickly.

Not really especially if they are carbide. Most newer/better snow tires have a cushion beneath the studs to allow them to retract a bit on contact. Centrifugal force helps them come out and get a purchase when the wheels spin.

Also: I thought I had heard that studded tires were illegal some places?

They are illegal in some locales, I believe Canada or at least Ontario doesn't allow them

Brian

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am