I've used (and LOVED) Blizzaks for the last 5-6 years (bought 3 sets, 2 new and one used with about 7.5kmi on them). They are as good as studs on snow and ice and even better on ice at temps below zero (F) (when ice becomes too hard for studs to penetrate) BUT only for the first 15-20kmi.

Blizzaks wear even faster if driven in temperatures much above 50-60 F. After the soft compound wears off (15-20kmi)they are a rather mediocre snow tire. As for studs - in my experience they are fine until the studs start to shed. Blizzaks are MUCH nicer on a just wet or dry road at highway speeds. A good set of studded tires can give at least 30kmi and some give 40+kmi of service. I have a set Vredestein studded tires that still have all but a couple of studs, 3/4 tread, after 46kmi - I bought them in 1988 (no I haven't used them on the highway in 7-8 years or even in the city in about 3-4 years). A friend bought and used the same Vredestein studded tire (same year I bought mine) in winter on his RX-7 for 14-15 years.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi