Zoltan Finks wrote:
> I just ran across this little sheet of info that came with my auto
> registration. I wonder if it's true. Seems to be designed to support the
> magic 55 mph limit. If it's true, it is very interesting.

The math looks about right.  You could subsititute other speeds with
pretty much the same results -- they just picked 55 because it's a
common speed limit, no doubt.

Of course, they don't figure any longer trips.  If you drive 70 instead
of 55 on a 500 mile trip, you save nearly two hours.

These are AVERAGE speeds, though.  A lot of people don't seem to realize
that the key to getting a long distance quickly is to avoid stops, where
you're doing 0 mph.  I can think of many examples of long interstate
trips where I've passed the same semi four or five times over the space
of a couple of days, because while he was doing 60 mph to my 75, I was
stopping much more often.