Thanks Guys,

All ya'll said sounds very reasonable (and I was glad to hear all you said).   The reason I believe the "terminal" prediction from my shop is they had the car for replacement of the bad rear wheel bearing.  (BTW, I put new Bilsteins on a couple of years ago) They had the car on the lift prepping to do the bearing when they saw the place where the rust had separated the "chassis from the suspension" to use their words.  They had a repair that would have paid them $600 or so in labor and they suggested I not do that because of the rust problem.   I know no one is suggesting the shop mis-diagnosed but seems like with $600 on the line they would have to be pretty sure the problem was real.  Another plus on the shops side is the technicians are a couple of  W124 enthusiasts.  It's nice to run into guys who love these great old cars as much as I do.

Thanks for the suggestions that she is safe, so far, other than the (loud) bearing, there is no reason to suspect a problem!  It tracks perfectly, doesn't make any strange sounds other than the bearing - no bumps, grinding or other noise I would associate with a body/suspension separation.   It is VERY nice to have confirmation that we have backup vehicle that will get us anywhere we are likely to go.

I assume that when the damage gets worse, I will 'feel' something in the rear - maybe it'll be tail happy?  Course, I won't be driving fast in a car that's questionable - especially around curves.  But I'm just guessing.  I really appreciate the comments about how durable your rusty MBs have been!  Very helpful.!

Larry

;-)