Under normal starting, floor it until the engine starts, then try to hold 100 to 1500 RPM until the engine is stable to idle.

In a long cranking session, stay off the fuel until there are signs of life, then crack it as you suggest.

Yes, in my 1962 190Dc manual it said you may crank it up to 60 seconds, then I think it was 2 minutes rest, then crank again up to 60 seconds. The OM621/61x starters are basically tractor or truck starters. Very durable.

archer75--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Very good!
I didn't know MB starters/batteries were built for such long cranking.

One more question: How much fuel should the engine be given during a long cranking session? I've found that just a little more fuel than the idle amount seemed to work best using any procedure. Comment?
Gerry