On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 20:18:26 -0800 G Mann via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> *Early on diesel wisdom given to me was to always warm up the engine
> before putting it under work load... *

That's what the owner's manuals for our big trucks say, particularly
cautioning letting the oil warm up so the turbo(s) is (are) not spun
without lubrication.

But the big truck engines are direct injection and take a LONG time to
warm up!!!

We all on this list have been told that that is not advisable for indirect
injection diesels like our small, high-speed Mercedes engines. Instead,
the thought was that running with a light load after oil pressures were
normal would cause the engine to warm up more quickly and help to not
carbon up the prechambers.

Our '90 E300D/2.5 Turbo warms up in about 5 minutes from below freezing.
Sometimes our Peterbilt has taken 30+ minutes to get to the 135 deg.F.
the owner's manual says it should be before putting light loads on it.
I haven't paid much attention to the Kenworth, with the larger engine,
but I know it takes longer ...

Craig