I think the synthetic stuff resists coking better if it leaks past the
turbine seals. I also think it keeps working to higher temps if the engine
overheats. And after running it for 100k in the 617a, I am convinced the
timing chains wear less with synthetic. Something about better shear
properties. Small but significant considerations for higher mile cars.

The oil change cost analysis does not factor in the time needed to assemble
parts or dispose of the used oil or do the actual swap in the driveway or
wherever when you should be doing something else. Or the time to clean the
soot out of your fingernails.

It is definitely interesting to think about changing oil a lot less often.
15k seems like a stretch in the city though.