Professional politicians are not really interested in solving problems.
Problems are the working capital of the political aristocracy; why fix them?
Long-standing problems are best because they can usually be blamed on someone
else and, demonstrably, aren't fatal.  The good intentions of rookie
politicians seldom last long.
Scott