I agree with both sides.  As much as I enjoy an open sunroof, they are a
maintenance PITA.

What I really miss is the sunroof on an old Saab 99 I once owned.
It was a modern sliding steel hatch, but it had no mechanisms, no cables, no
motors, almost nothing to fail.  To open it, you just reach up, grab the
handle and slide it open as far as you want to.
To close it, you reach up, grab the same handle and slide it shut.  Near the
end of the closing stroke, you had to be moving it at just the right
velocity for it to pop into position and latch.  I'm a slow learner, and
even I learned the knack of closing it the first day.

Compared to new Saabs, that old one was so simple and robust.  Guess it is
the same situation for Mercedes.

Ned Kleinhenz
'95 E300D x2
'85 300D