Diesel engine is a "compression ignition" engine, so to fire the fuel/air
charge it must raise the temperature of the charge to a point at or above
the flash point of the fuel/air charge, so the engine "lights off".

Typical compression charge temps necessary to hit flash point for diesel is
400 degrees F.
Ambient air temp plays a part in reaching that flash point, thus, glow
plugs.
Crank speed is another factor.. thus, the need for a strong battery.
Next is compression condition of the engine.

You can put a hair dryer in the intake, add a booster battery... but if you
have low compression... very hard to start..

>From my experience, the magic happens best between 390 and 420 psi on a hot
engine compression test.