It's even more complicated.  That graph is for a static compression ratio with
no heat transfer.  In a real engine, there is heat loss to the cold
cylinder/head/piston plus leakage past the piston and an intake valve that's
still partially open at the beginning of the compression stroke.  After an
engine is running compression is much higher (less heat loss, less time to leak
past piston, and less valve loss because of the the momentum of incoming
chatge)