On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 11:06:57 -0400 Meade Dillon via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Here's my plan, if anyone can think of something else clever and
> inexpensive, or at least possible this weekend, let me know.
>
> Check the refrigerant pressures, and if the hydrocarbon blend
> (enviro-safe I think) is low, top it up and check for leaks.

Will topping up keep the composition of the blend?

> Check the function of the electric cooling fan.  Maybe add a switch so I
> can activate the fan manually?

A manual switch might be a good idea. The '90 E300D/2.5 Turbo I owned had
a bad A/C pressure switch so the cooling fans would not come on.
Jumpering the leads made it run all the time, which was helpful.

> Check / clean between radiator and condenser.

Yes!

> Check / clean front of the evaporator (under the blower fan, which is
> under the mono-wiper motor, which is under all that plastic under the
> windshield - fun!?).

Is there not some grille that will keep leaves and other detritus out of
the evaporator?

> Part of the reason for poor performance of the HVAC is the vacuum pod
> for the center vents has failed, so no AC air ever comes from the center
> vents.  I suspect that R&R of the dash to fix that vacuum pod and
> replace all the other pods will be my job NEXT weekend....

Try the other things first ...

Craig