Just a generic PC I built out of parts. Basic i7 processor I had laying around,
although you could certainly use something less powerful. Motherboard with a
RAID controller, 12GB of RAM, four 2GB hard drives, two 1GB hard drives and a
128GB SSD for a boot drive (again, major overkill but I had it on the bench.)
The hard drives came out of my “failed” Drobo and have been working just fine.
I think I’ve had one failure of a Toshiba drive and it was still under warranty.

With a ZFS encrypted RAID 5 array I think I have around 6GB of space or
thereabouts.

Hot swappable drives, serious security and redundancy, based on a FreeBSD
kernel, this thing has been rock solid since I built it.

I’ve had media stuff on it, specifically Plex, but no one in the house really
seemed interested in using it, so I blew it away and recovered the space for my
Time Machine volume.

-D