Thanks that was the set of issues I suspected I might be avoiding.

I am however torn on whether the ate part is worth 140 when the meyle is
80-odd and a centric or equivalent is 60-odd. I suspect all of them will
last decades in regular use, but went the conservative route and splurged.

I found ate on ebay for 130. Pelican was 190. Autohausaz was 150 and they
had the reservoir grommets and plug. So I used them for convenience.

I am using castrol srf fluid and bought some shiny stainless lines, but of
course the right front hard line fitting is seized so I ordered a new set
of flare wrenches for that project. I will have to bleed it all again now
so might as well figure out how to get the old lines off.

I did source the 500e master as I have put the brembo dual piston fronts on
with sl600 rears. The booster is stock but I rather enjoy a firm brake
pedal so no matter.

If anyone would like a twin piston and rotor upgrade setup for an older
w124 (rears are vented and fronts are 294mm IIRC) I will be happy to box it
all up for beer money plus shipping; Rotors and pads seem to have plenty of
life left. They are from a later model w124 as far as I can tell. Ate
stuff. One of the calipers may rub a bit but I drove it that way for two
years and it still has pad left everywhere.